When Greenfield resident Fannie Andis lost her only child at birth in the early 20th century, there was no hospital in Hancock County. Fannie believed a nearby hospital could have saved her baby’s life. So she made it her personal mission to bring a hospital to Greenfield.
In 1951, Fannie’s vision came to fruition, and Hancock Memorial Hospital was born. Today, Hancock Regional Hospital remains Hancock County’s only maternity hospital. It’s the one place where area women and mothers can get maternity, nursery, lactation, obstetrics, gynecology, and pediatric services all in one place.
Named in honor of Fannie, the Andis Women’s and Children’s Department delivers an average of 385 babies each month—and that number is growing. And now, the department is growing, too.
Hancock Health is expanding on Fannie Andis’s vision with an expansion that will bring a higher level of care to the women in our community.
In preparing for the expansion, our staff visited some of the best maternity facilities in the country. After completion, our maternity area will be more spacious, more family-friendly, and more like home than a hospital. Highlights will include:
- World-class labor and delivery rooms equipped with state-of-the-art fetal monitoring systems
- Renovated postpartum rooms with lots of space to accommodate visits from family and friends
- An improved family waiting room featuring a TV, phones, charging stations, a play area for children, and refreshments
- Brand-new flooring, lighting, furniture, and wall coverings
- Improved security features, including pass-code-only access
- A full menu from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., and a snack room stocked with delicious, dietitian-approved foods for new moms and dads
- Nurses well-versed in the latest breathing and relaxation techniques
- Certified lactation specialists providing daily visits, support groups, and regular outpatient visits for new moms
- Obstetricians/gynecologists and anesthesiologists available around the clock
- New furniture for overnight visitors, high speed Wi-Fi, room service, and flexible visiting hours
- Education courses on childbirth, breastfeeding, safe sleep, CPR and more
One thing won’t change: Our commitment to keeping new mothers and their babies safe and comfortable throughout their life-changing journey. Just ask Amy Deugan, who has given birth to four children at Hancock Regional Hospital.
“I love Hancock because the staff doesn’t change,” Amy said. “We had the same nurses caring for us with all four children. I built a relationship with the nurses, which helps me trust them and feel more comfortable.”
As a not-for-profit community hospital, Hancock Regional Hospital provides uncommonly compassionate care to patients like Amy. Furthermore, we provide that same care to patients who lack the means to pay. On average, we write off $1.2 to $1.5 million per month in uncompensated care.
To do this, we rely on the generosity of the community. Fannie Andis knew the importance of giving back—and so do many other of your fellow community members who are already doing their part.
Now we’re asking you to join Fannie and your neighbors in contributing to the future of both Hancock Regional Hospital and the entire community.
There are many ways to give, and gifts of all sizes truly do make a difference.
Contributions to the Hancock Regional Hospital Foundation are tax-deductible and may be sent to:
Hancock Regional Hospital Foundation
801 North State Street
Greenfield, Indiana 46140
Or you can donate online. Information submitted online is transmitted using 128-bit secure encryption.
Thank you for your generosity. For more information, contact Allyson Smith, Foundation Manager at (317) 468.4106 or email@example.com.